Brando's Bloggins

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Do you or Don't You?

Today as Yin and I were on our way to Olney a funeral precession passed by. I carefully pulled to the side of the highway. I made sure to leave the entire lane because you just never know if someone will pull over. As I set there pondering the life and death of someone I did not know. A car full of young people went whizzing by.

It made me wonder when this tradition stopped. I looked ahead and a car was pulled over, and I looked behind and another car was pulled over. Is this something we just stopped doing? Do they not teach this to young drivers anymore? Are people just in too much of a hurry?

I have to admit that most of the time I am in a HURRY to get someplace. Yin and Yuri seem to be always making me run later than I want to go, but I have NEVER not pulled over for a funeral. I can remember going to the cemetery on the day we buried my gram. In the pouring down rain, and people were pulled over. Honoring her life and death. I see this small tradition as a way to honor and show courtesy for a person and their family.

So I guess my question is do you or don't you?

3 Comments:

  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Rudy said…

    ALWAYS.

     
  • At 6:42 AM, Blogger Ragged Around the Edges said…

    I do. It's simply a sign of respect and the least we can do.

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger Inkling said…

    Definitely. I was not taught this growing up, but learned it sometime in college from the same friend who taught me that you wave to the person in the opposite lane when you're on a country road. When my grandma died, I wanted the world to stop and pay attention to the loss. So it was extra meaningful to see the cars in her small town pull over to the side of the road.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home